Sunday, October 14, 2012

Hoop Dance

    For my first blog entry I have decided to write about my favorite hobby, hoop dancing. Hoop dance is a type of dancing where you dance with a "hula hoop".  I was introduced to hoop dance at a String Cheese Incident concert in 2002.  I thought it looked fun, and freeing.

    I bought my first hoop online in 2005. It is a rather large hoop with a diameter of 48 inches. I believe the large hoops are easier for beginners because the large circumference creates a slower speed to practice, and the weight of a large hoop helps too build muscles needed for intricate tricks. Now I hoop with small diameter hoops that are 36 inches. Small hoops move quickly and are more difficult to control.

I have made most of my hoops myself from irrigation tubing at Home Depot. I also own an one hundred light LED hoop that has 90 different light modes! And recently I felt I was knowledgeable enough to purchase my first fire hoop.

I love hoop dancing! It is great exercise ( can burn up to 400 calories an hour!), and it is easy to lose time hooping because trying new tricks is a challenge! I have included a link to a video of me fire hooping for one of the first times!




1 comment:

  1. This is amazing!! I suck at hooping but I never thought it could be due to the hoop's size. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete